The word Arborvitae means “tree of life” so it is no wonder that these trees can live for over 800 years and have wonderfully useful properties. The essential oil is steam distilled from the heartwood of this conifer tree and contains many powerful constituents including methyl thujate, hinokitiol, and thujic acid. It has a distinctive strong aroma that will fill a room long after a bottle was open. Is this one I would want to diffuse around my house for smell alone? Probably not, but when I crack this bottle and apply to my loved ones or add to my diffuser, I know that I am doing something awesome for my family. Here are just a few of the amazing things this essential oil can do.
Arborvitae Essential Oil:
- Preserves wood naturally
- Is a powerful cleansing and purifying agent
- Protects against environmental and seasonal threats
- Naturally repels insects
We usually apply this oil diluted with coconut oil to the bottoms of our feet when immune support is needed. It can sometimes cause skin sensitivities so dilute always and patch test before application.
Some Other Great Ways to Use This Essential Oil:
- Mix 4 drops with 2 drops of lemon essential oil with a carrier oil for an effective wood preservative and polish
- Diffuse to purify the air
- Apply a few drops to a spray bottle with water and spray on surfaces or hands for a protecting solution
- Apply to wrists and ankles while hiking to repel insects
- Mix in with mulch while gardening
- Diffuse for a grounding aroma
- Use during meditation for a sense of peace and calm
- Create your own cologne with cedarwood, arborvitae, and frankincense
This is definitely a distinctive essential oil that I think everyone should have on hand. How do you use your “Tree of Life” essential oil?